TOWN OF STURBRIDGE
TORNADO DEBRIS REMOVAL PLAN
APPROVED: Board of Selectmen
DATE: June 8, 2011
CONTACTS: Shaun Suhoski, Town Administrator: (508) 347-2500
Erin Jacque, Conservation Agent: (508) 347-2506
Tree Debris Removal Dates
The Board of Selectmen approved a tree debris removal plan on June 8 designed to assist residents and property owners directly impacted by last week’s devastating tornado. Clean-up will occur in three phases in directly impacted neighborhoods with the following deadlines:
- Stallion Hill Road, Douty Road and Holland Road Area: June 20
- Fiske Hill Road, Whittemore Road, Regep Lane and Farquhar Road Area: June 27
- Willard Road and Streeter Road Area: July 11
Any tree debris remaining after the above dates shall be the responsibility of the property owners.
Tree Debris Guidelines
- Only tree branches, limbs and logs (the longer the better) will be accepted.
- The above material must be placed within ten feet of the edge of the roadway.
- A one foot setback from the edge of pavement is required for safety and vehicular access.
- Lawn waste including leaves, twigs and other raked material is not included and will not be removed by the Town. It is recommended that this material be placed in compost bags and properly disposed of by landowners.
The Town is in the process of devising a plan to assist landowners with removal and disposal of other debris. Until the plan is finalized, the Town recommends that landowners stockpile all non-tree debris in the front or side yards in an upland location accessible and visible from the road. Debris must be separated into the following categories:
- Burnable material (plastic, glass, carpeting, etc.),
- Metals (metal siding, sheds, swing sets, lawn furniture, screen doors, etc.), and
- Construction and Demolition debris (wood siding, doors, shingles, pressure treated lumber, windows, etc.).
These materials must not be stockpiled within the Town’s ten foot right of way and must be separate from the tree debris.
Affected residents may also bring separated burnable and construction/demolition debris to the Recycling Center free of charge on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7:00 a.m. - 2:45 p.m. and Saturdays 7:00 AM - 2:45 p.m.
All residents are cautioned that the Recycling Center has limited capacity to accept these materials. Please call Recycling Center Manager John Booth in advance at (508) 347-7608 to ensure there is adequate space to accept delivered materials.
Residents are highly encouraged to stockpile materials at your residence until the town can provide further guidance and assistance with debris removal and disposal.
For Debris Removal Assistance
For volunteer assistance in removing the debris please contact:
- Selectman Thomas Creamer: (774) 696-0903
- Selectman Priscilla Gimas: (774) 230-5572
- Christine Jensen, Volunteer Resource Coordinator Asst.: (508) 365-7227
- Susan Waters, Volunteer Resource Coordinator: (774) 402-4387
Post a Comment
Anonymous comments not accepted, and will be rejected. Please use your full name. Choose "Name / URL" and enter your name, and your name ONLY. Leave "URL" blank.